Are you up to speed with the changes to the Queensland smoke alarm legislation?
New legislation has been introduced to install photoelectric smoke alarms that are also interconnected.
Recently, changes have been made to a variety of regulations related to fire safety and the placement of smoke alarms in domestic dwellings (class 1a and class 2 buildings). These changes may apply to your home.
The new legislation introduced will make Queensland households the safest in Australia when it comes to fire safety.
The revised regulation states that as an owner of a domestic dwelling in Queensland, you have a legislative obligation to ensure the installation of the correct type of smoke detectors.
From 1 January 2022 – Dwellings being sold, leased or an existing lease is renewed
- Smoke alarms in all dwellings must:
- be photoelectric (meet AS 3786-2014); and
- not also contain an ionisation sensor; and
- be less than 10 years old; and
- operate when tested; and
- be interconnected with every other smoke alarm in the dwelling so all activate together.
- Smoke alarms must be installed on each storey:
- in each bedroom; and
- in hallways which connect bedrooms and the rest of the dwelling; or
- if there is no hallway, between the bedrooms and other parts of the storey; and
- if there are no bedrooms on a storey at least one smoke alarm must be installed in the most likely path of travel to exit the dwelling.
From 1 January 2027Residential units that are owner occupied must comply with the above requirements
Click here to read more.
How to Ensure Your Building is Compliant
Although Strata schemes are not required to install the new standard of photoelectric smoke alarms until 2022, Star BMS recommend that owners and Bodies Corporate be proactive and start planning now to ensure they meet the required deadlines.
At Star BMS we are qualified Fire Safety Advisors. We use qualified experienced electricians and will ensure work is completed to a high standard and to meet the new legislative requirements.
Protect your family and investment by clicking here to contact StarBMS today.